Making Your Empty Property Secure

If you own an empty property, whether it's a self-build that's nearing completion or a property that you're renovating, then you need to take the right steps to keep it secure. Unoccupied properties are statistically much more likely to be targeted by burglars and vandals than those that are occupied.


Below are some tips to help keep you empty property secure -

  • Install a security alarm – A visible alarm is one of the most effective deterrents you can get for your property. Merely the sight of an alarm is enough to put most burglars/vandals off. Remote Signalling Alarms cost more than audible-only alarms and need to be installed by accredited professionals but they'll give you the most peace of mind since the police will automatically be alerted when they're triggered.
  • Install security lighting – Outdoor security lighting is another very effective way to make your empty property more secure, especially during the winter months when it goes dark much earlier in the day. Motion-sensor security lights are a good choice since they only come on when they detect movement where they're placed. Motion-sensor security lights can be purchased and installed affordably and will go a long way to making your property secure.
  • Leave lights on – An alarm and security lights are both highly recommended but they will not give the impression that the property is occupied. This is why leaving lights on during the night is a very good idea if you want to deter burglars and vandals. You can also get automatic switching devices that will turn lights on and off randomly.

Empty property insurance

Even when you take steps to reduce the likelihood of break-ins and vandalism, you still need to get the right insurance for your property. Empty property insurance, also known as unoccupied property insurance, covers your property for structural damage, break-ins and theft of contents. You can tailor an unoccupied property insurance policy to your exact needs and will have full peace of mind that you'll be covered if the worst happens.

secure windows

Self-build insurance

If your property is a self-build rather than an existing property that's being renovated then you can get additional levels of cover that covers you for a wide range of risks, including employers' liability, public liability and contractors' protection.

There are many excellent suppliers of empty property and self-build insurance online so you shouldn't have any trouble getting affordable quotes.

Add a comment
Incorrect code - please try again.